You’d think that having the pop-up disabled would be a good thing. Then you could read everything of interest to you without a pop-up suddenly appearing….But you’d be WRONG! (as irritating as the whole thing would be)
I must say, I also thought that having pop-ups disabled would keep the annoying ad interference from getting in my way when I am engaged in content online. So, I blocked them.
Then I went to open my email. Regardless of the emails that were sent, from whom or where, when I clicked on them, I COULD NOT OPEN them. Instead, the message read “Could not open window. If you have a popup blocker installed, please make sure it is disabled.”
Until this was corrected, I had to rely on my other smart devices like my iPhone to read the information. (Though most people rely on their iPhone for information these days anyway.) This was annoying none the less.
Should you encounter this problem- here is the solution.
For those people using Safari as their server (macOS):
Safari has no per-website control over blocking pop-up windows. Pop-ups are either blocked, or they are not. To allow them use these steps:
1.From the Safari menu, choose Preferences…and click the Security tab.
2.Ensure the Block pop-up windows option is not checked. Unchecking this option will allow pop-ups.
3. To block pop-ups once again, check the Block pop-up windows checkbox.
For those Using Chrome (Windows/macOS):
- Open Chrome, then go to the web page that you want to allow pop-ups.
- In Chrome’s URL window, highlight the entire web address of the current page, then choose the Copy command from the Edit menu or right-click and choose Copy command
- Click the icon with three horizontal bars in the upper right side of the browser toolbar.
- Click Settings
- Scroll to the bottom of the Settings section and click Show advanced settings
- In the Privacy section, click Content settings. The content settings window appears
- Scroll to the pop-ups section, then ensure the Do not allow any site to show pop-ups radio button is selected.
- Click Manage exceptions
- In the Hostname pattern field, choose the Paste command from the Edit menu or right-click and choose the Paste command in the menu to set to Allow
Pasting the web address of a page you wish to allow pop-ups is recommended rather than typing the generic url.
I hope this alleviates any frustration for you.
Check back next week when we post more tips for you.